Wednesday, December 24, 2008

THE APPROACHING STORM


The weather wept, and all the trees bent down...
(Theodore Roethke)

Woke up to gray skies and angry-looking clouds that herald the approach of what is predicted to be a major rainstorm tonight. I am not looking forward to being out on the road later today, as we are going to the Yule Eve 'clan gathering' with my partner's family, which necessitates driving a long way on L. A.'s freeways--dangerous enough when roads are dry. But travel we must and so I steel myself against it with such prayers as I know.

The air is cold today; with probing, icy fingers that claw down to the bones and bury the chill there. I drink many cups of tea, eat toast and tangerines. Listening to melancholy music: Bel Canto's "Images" and "Night Lady." It is good to be home for now, safe inside and warm. In what passes for winter in Southern California, we shudder at 58-degrees!

For only one of only a handful of times in my life I am not spending the holidays with my family. I decided to stay home with my partner and my extended family this year, and travel to Seattle in January instead. The campus is closed for winter break, so I have nine days off. I am looking forward to reading, painting, and some hiking. It will be nice to relax and not have any particular agenda.

I hope you are all safe and warm and with people you love this holiday!

No comments: