Monday, February 23, 2009

COOPER’S HAWK ON A CLOUDY MORNING

Strange clouds have covered the skies for the past three days. A subtropical system has brought odd wrinkled and puckered clouds, along with high humidity. Occasional fat drops fall, but not for long and only enough to wet the sidewalks.

This morning when I went out to get the paper something large caught my eye in the big sycamore behind the house: a big Cooper’s Hawk! At first it was just hunkered down facing away from me on an upper branch...

Then the hawk called loudly: kak-kak-kak-kak-kak-kak--and hopped up to the very topmost branch. It was now facing in my direction, just as the sun started to emerge from behind the bank of clouds...

...and then the sun poked through enough to light up its breast with a bright, rusty glow—what a magnificent sight!

When I left for work at 7:10, the hawk was still in the tree and the clouds had eclipsed the sunrise. As I was pulling out of the drive, I saw two crows swoop down on the hawk and chase it off. The poor hawk has a tough time of it in our neighborhood, as there is a HUGE flock of them that claim this area as theirs. But the hawk persists, and I have seen him many times lately.

 I look forward to seeing his stately and majestic form in the tree again soon…this is the 'urban wild' that most people miss because they don't take the time to look!


1 comment:

Tabor said...

Wow, that was a wonderful sight. The early morning sun really lights up his breast. We had a pair of red-shoulders fly through the woods the other day...first we have seen in a while.