Monday, October 12, 2009

MORRO BAY CAMPING TRIP


Returned to Morro Bay again this year, same month and days as last year, and camped at Morro Bay State Park. This is a view of Morro Rock taken from near the natural history museum.

Once the morning foggy overcast cleared off, the days were lovely; sunny and cool. For me this is perfect weather! This is a partial view of the MBSP boat harbor, with part of the estuary in the distance.


One of the big pines near my campsite. I don't know my tree species too well, but the convoluted bark texture on these pines was really wonderful.


The treeline as seen from my campsite.


Some rocky peaks that are the same type as Morro Rock--except inland. Taken from the small boat harbor near the campground.


The harbor in Morro Bay, with Morro Rock in the background.


Another shot of the boat harbor. I love boats, I love being out on the water--but am cursed with sever motion sickness. I've tried everything under the sun and though some medications and remedies work, the side affects aren't pleasant. Alas! I am landlocked!

Some sloops and yachts in the harbor.


A young California Sea Lion.


Rear flippers--note the toenails!


Sun bathing sea lions--some of those guys were HUGE!


One guy had the right idea...


...using a headrest!

There is a healthy population of Turkey Vultures that roost in the park. This one was spreading its wings to warm itself one morning before taking flight.
I took Friday off so I would have a long weekend. Arrived mid-afternoon, set up camp, and did a little bird walk. I was surprised to note that there weren't as many birds around here as last year at this time. There were the resident Turkey Vultures and Brewer's Blackbirds, which roost at various trees in the campground, and of course the White-crowned Sparrows; but I saw no migrating warblers this time.
A partial bird list:
Nuttall's Woodpecker
Dark-eyed Junco
Peregrine Falcon
Red-shouldered Hawk
Black Phoebe
American Crow
Various species of sea gulls
Brown Pelican
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
cormorants
Great Horned Owls
The owls hooted during the night; on Friday night I lay awake and listened to them for almost two hours. There were three distinct birds, each with a different voice, calling back and forth. One had the typical deep whoo-WHOO-hoo-hoo-hoo; one was similar, except he had a slight catch at the second note; the third was a higher pitched song. Saturday night there was just the deep-voiced and high-pitched birds calling back and forth, using a 4-note call instead of the 5-note one of the night before.
Saturday night while eating dinner at dusk there was a hatch of flying termites, which brought out six bats hunting them. Was really neat to watch them darting around in the fading light.
One group of campers found out the hard way that you need to keep your food put away--some raccoons got into their food one night. I always put everything in the car at night and wedged the cooler under the seat on the picnic bench so they can't lift the lid. I actauly heard one rattling the handles in the middle of the night--they will try anyway!
It was a delightful trip; very relaxing and a nice getaway. There is still talk of closing a lot of california's state parks and it would be such a shame and a great loss to those of us who enjoy the outdoors to take this away from us. So many things in our state are getting cut, curtailed, and scaled back these days (not to mention the losses due to wildfires), that I am determined to get out and experience and enjoy all I can--while I can.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I never thought about seals having toe nails! But, it makes sense.