Wednesday, April 20, 2011

WHITNEY CANYON - SPRING HAS SPRUNG

Oh my--I realized it's just been ages since I posted anything, so I thought I'd better get this up before too much more time passed. Actually it's been ages since I've really done anything. Caught up in life stuff, including replacing my aging car, which consumed a fair amount of a month or more.

Anyway, I did get a lovely hike in two weeks ago to Whitney Canyon near Saugus with friend Paula. Wow! Everything was so GREEN! All the rain we had this winter has resulted in gorgeous green carpeting on all the hills, along with a smattering of newly emerging wildflowers.

The first plants to bloom is always the non-native wild mustard, which covers some areas in a yellow blanket. Then there's the wild radish, with it delicate lavender and white blossoms. A few poppies here and there, too. Lupine can't be far behind.

We saw a lot of bird species that day:
Cedar Waxwing
Oak Titmouse
Yellow-rumped Warbler
House Wren (all singing beautifully--even saw one go into a tree cavity nest)
Red-tailed hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Merlin (2 flying together)
Northern Rough-winged Swallows
White-throated Swift
Spotted Towhee
California Towhee
Bewick's Wren
Song Sparrow
Common Raven (harassing the Red-tailed Hawk)
Acorn Woodpecker
Nuttall's Woodpecker

Seasonal pond--complete with swallow and swift air force diving and gliding everywhere!

No comments: