Wednesday, September 11, 2013

DIGBY'S FIRST OVERNIGHT IN THE WOODS!

This past weekend I took Digby, my 5-year-old Beagle/Chihuahua mix, on his first overnight camping trip. I've been taking him on day hikes for the past year and he's grown to really love it. And on a couple of those day hikes I set up a day camp and hung the hammock. Digby LOVES the hammock! We get in, zip up the bug screen, and lay quiet to bird watch.

On this trip we went to Mt. Pinos and I found a campsite that had pretty well-spaced, small diameter trees to hang the hammock from. It was a fairly warm day, perhaps around 77-degrees. There was a slight breeze blowing off and on, but not strong enough to keep down those pesky black gnats. Those things bedeviled and tormented us all day! But we managed to persevere until evening,w hen we finally crawled into the hammock and zipped the bug screen against them.

The hang job on the hammock wasn't pretty, but it did the job. I had bought some new MSR Groundhog tent stakes and wow--they work really well! MSR Needle stakes weigh less, but the Groundhogs have more surface area to dig in with. A tarp on the ground made a nice floor mat. And of course, the new zero gravity lounger makes a wonderful place to sit and relax, read, enjoy the birds.



I took one of his toys, "Blue Baby", and he seemed very happy to have it.



The night was very quiet--all we heard was the sound of crickets, which I found very restful. The wind died down around 11 pm and no longer set the tarp rustling. The stillness was nearly absolute.

Digby is a good little camper and he kept me very warm all night! Better than a Nalgene bottle full of hot water!

 
 
This won't be the last overnight trip for my little pal! He really took to it. And it's fun to have a dog along on trips like these.

No comments: