Thursday, September 12, 2013

WASHINGTON VACATION - Pt. 2. WOODS & WATER!

Back in July I had a wonderful 11-day vacation in Washington state to visit my family. I spent 4 days with my mother out on the Olympic Peninsula, which turned out to be a delightful time. We stayed at a cabin on Lake Quinault and did some hiking in the surrounding woods.

I had always wanted to go to the Olympics and visit the rainforest there. I'd seen photos and heard stories about it, but nothing prepares you for seeing it first hand. First of all, IT IS SO GREEN! Trees, mosses, grasses, and plants grow in tight proliferation. It felt very primordial to be on those woods and I half expected to see some giant prehistoric reptile appear. There were a few gorges, with rushing water and toppled trees, that reminded me of the movie "King Kong".


The forest there is truly remarkable, and there are several large trees that are over 100' tall. This giant spruce was actually 191' tall and thought to be about 1,000 years old. It was quite humbling to stand at its feet.

 
 
 
There were beautiful streams and waterfalls everywhere. It made me wish I had weeks to spend there, to take time to sit and listen to the voice of the water, really soak up the atmosphere and magic that seemed to be everywhere.

 
 
 

 
Woods and water - a truly spiritual combination. Nature at her very best!


 

No comments: